Women’s Soccer comes out winless in two defensive battles

On a late Wednesday Oct. 4, the Colby Women’s Soccer team travelled to Biddeford, Maine to take on the University of New England Nor’easters. After 90 minutes of regulation play and two 10-minute golden goal over times, Colby closed out the game with a hard fought 0-0 tie. Over the weekend, the Mules continued their road trip to Middletown, Connecticut to face the Wesleyan Cardinals in a conference matchup. Despite their efforts, Colby fell short 0-2 in a tough loss, bringing them to 3-4-2 overall.

In the first half of play against UNE, Colby’s defense was tested early on as the Nor’easters got off a quick shot from Morgan Rodway, but goalie Shannon Gray ’21 came up with her first save of the game. Gray’s save was followed by five quick consecutive UNE corner kicks. After the defensive clear, Colby answered back with shots from Elizabeth Barry ’19, Hannah Brozdowski ’19, and Laura Arnold ’18.  Olivia Greif ’21 had two shots, one high and one on goal. The Mules finished the half strong, dominating possession and keeping UNE scoreless.

Continuing into the second half, the Mules outshot UNE 7-4 and tallied six corner kicks to UNE’s one. After another 45 minutes of back and forth play, the game went into its first overtime. Brozdowski and Ally Ingraham ’18 both got early shots on net for Colby, but UNE’s goalie Jenna Pannone was able to make the saves. With the score still 0-0, the game headed into the second overtime. Gray made two saves for the Mules while Greif and Lindsay Ayers ’20 added shots before time ran out. Overall, Katie Senechal ’19 anchored the defense for Colby throughout the game while Grief led the Mules in shots with four shots, three on goal. Gray had 10 saves and has not allowed a goal in 290 minutes.

Colby faced more obstacles as they took on Wesleyan University this past Saturday morning. The Cardinals controlled the ball from the start and pressed into the Mule’s defensive end, earning six shots in the first 15 minutes of play. Despite three saves from Dani Lonati ’20, Wesleyan’s Liz Young scored an unassisted goal at the 18 minute mark putting the Cardinals ahead 1-0. Colby eventually gained some momentum with a shot from Barry and a corner kick from Arnold. However, Wesleyan soon got on the board again with a goal from Lauren Goetzman, assisted by Gianna Argento, with 13 minutes left in the half. Lonati had five saves for the Mules in the first half.

The Mules looked to answer back quickly in the second half of play with shots from Greif and Barry, but both were just wide of the net. Colby’s defense stepped up to keep the Cardinal’s offense scoreless for the remaining 45 minutes, with Lonati adding three more saves for the half. Colby’s best chance to cut the lead in half came from a shot by Greif, but was blocked by a Wesleyan defender with 10 minutes left to play. Lindsay Ayers ’20 had the final shot with two minutes left, but the Mules came up short.

Leave a Reply