W. Lax on three-game slide

Following a tough loss to NESCAC foe Middlebury, the then nationally fourth-ranked Colby women’s lacrosse team travelled to Brunswick to take on rival Bowdoin. The Mules entered the match 9-2 and tied for fourth in the NESCAC with the Polar Bears. Bowdoin was ranked seventh in the nation following decisive victories over Amherst and Williams early in the season. The Polar Bears, in dramatic fashion, came from behind to defeat Colby 8-7. The previous five meetings, dating back to 2011, between the rivals have all been decided by one goal, with Bowdoin holding a 3-2 series advantage.

The Mules were able to jump out to an early 4-1 lead following two goals by tri-captain Sara Miller ’15. Miller is an offensive force on the team and is third on the team in goals with 18. Play continued back and forth for the majority of the first half until Bowdoin netted a free position shot with five minutes left in the half to bring the Polar Bears within two. A lapse on defense by the Mules with just over a minute until halftime led to a Bowdoin goal and brought the home team within one.

Just five minutes into the half, the home team struck again to come even with the Mules at 4-4. Following a Colby goal by Lexie Perticone ’17 with 24 minutes left in the match, the Polar Bears dominated play, scoring twice in three minutes to take the lead; however, the Mules would not go down without a fight, and ten seconds after a Bowdoin conversion of a free position shot, Perticone hit the back of the net and leveled the score at 6-6. The Bowdoin defense locked down and prevented Colby from scoring another goal until it was too late. The Polar Bears capitalized on defensive fouls by the Mules and scored another free position shot, which was shortly followed by an unassisted Bowdoin goal to put the Mules behind by two. Kendall Smith ’18 scored for the Mules, finally breaking through the Polar Bear defense with just five minutes remaining in the game. The Mules were unable to tie the game in the final minutes of the match and returned to Waterville looking forward to their matchup with fellow NESCAC leader Amherst.

The 12th-ranked Lord Jeffs emerged victorious after scoring with just one-second left in overtime to defeat the Mules 9-8. April has been a tough month for the Mules as the loss was their third in a row. Before April, Colby enjoyed an eight-game win streak, were 9-1, and ranked second in the nation.

The Mules struggled early on in the match and were unable to get on the scoreboard in the first ten minutes of the match, allowing Amherst to jump ahead to a 3-0 lead. Senior tri-captain Abby Hatch ’15 netted the first goal of the game for the Mules, but the Colby offense remained stagnant. With Amherst leading 5-1, and two minutes remaining in the half, another goal by Hatch jolted the Colby offense. The Mules scored two more goals in quick succession to bring the game to within one at half time.

The second half went back and forth, with the teams exchanging pairs of goals. With the Lord Jeffs ahead and only five minutes remaining in the game, Abby Hooper ’16 scored off a feed from Hatch, who 30 seconds later buried a free position shot to tie the game and send it to overtime.

In overtime, the Mule defense stood firm, but was unable to keep the aggressive Amherst offense off the board. In the final second of overtime play, Amherst scored, sending the Mules back home to Waterville in defeat.

Comments are closed.