Colby Soccer’s hard fought weekend

It was a tough weekend on the road for men’s and women’s soccer, totalling three loses and a tie over four games. The men had a three game win streak heading into Saturday’s matchup against Tufts, while the women only had a single loss.

The men’s first game was doomed from the start, as the #1 NCAA Division III Jumbos took 12 shots in the first half with two finding the back of the net. In contrast, Colby could not get a single shot on target. Tuft’s offensive dominance set the pace of the match, ending with four goals, while the Mules ended with four shots. Colby’s goalkeeping duo of Stanley Clarke ‘20 and Matt Morin ‘22 managed six saves in total –four for Clarke and two for Morin– emphasizing the Jumbo’s exploitative attack. Thankfully, the Mules were able to shore up some defensive holes the next day for their match against Wesleyan, who they beat 1-0 last year on the way to a NESCAC championship.

Colby seemed far more poised on September 22nd, letting in a single goal to the formidable Cardinals. Sadly, Colby’s offensive troubles extended to Sunday, unable to take a shot on target in the first half for the second day in a row. On a brutally hot last day of summer, both teams seemed to be dragging along, without a first half goal. Wesleyan came of halftime firing, with Alec Haas `20 netting a goal three minutes into the second half. While no more goals were scored by either team, the Cardinals out shot Colby 10-3 and seemed to be the dominant team. The Mules were given one last chance with two minutes left and a free kick opportunity at the edge of the box. The strike was blocked and Colby was left with a forgettable weekend on the road. The Men’s team will look to turn around their bad luck with a trip to Clinton, N.Y. this weekend to play the Hamilton Continentals. 

Women’s soccer fared slightly better than the men, but only slightly. The stout Colby defense came under a barrage by Tufts, seeing 18 shots in the first half, with a stunning nine on target. In contrast, the Mules managed to get one shot on target, happening to be Sofia Oliveira’s ‘21 first goal of the season. Colby goalkeeper Dani Lonati ’20 kept the Mules in the game allowing only two shots, leaving the halftime score at 2-1. Colby improved their play in the second half and ramped up the pressure with four shots, although none could be converted into goals. Keeper Shannon Gray `21 came into the second half and kept up her form, allowing a single goal to her five saves. The Mules ended up with a 3-1 loss and plenty of room to improve the next day.

Again, the heat seemed to turn Sunday’s matchup against Wesleyan into a defensive stalemate. Action came in the second half, with Wesleyan putting a whopping seven shots on target, turning into seven saves for Shannon Gray. Colby struggled offensively, managing three shots in the second half and relying on their defense to scrape by with a point on the road. The game dragged into overtime, as the two exhausted teams managing two shots each over the two periods.

Similar to the men’s team, the women will look for an improved offensive performance this weekend against Hamilton. With the dynamic forward Olivia Greif `21 injured against Wesleyan, the Mules will need someone to take the reigns and find the back of the net.


Leave a Reply