Mules devesated by Cardinals in 37-6 loss

This past Saturday was a tough afternoon for Colby College Football, as they fell to the Wesleyan University Cardinals on homecoming weekend. The final score: 37-6. Wesleyan came to Colby with momentum after earning a big win two weekends ago over Hamilton College. The Cardinals held the Continentals to single-digit points while scoring over 30 points. They opened the floodgates against Colby with a 25-yard touchdown run by Wesleyan tailback Devon Carrillo. That touchdown capped a four play, 51-yard drive that lasted just under three minutes.

The Mules responded with a long, 71-yard drive that lasted nearly seven minutes. The team battled deep into Wesleyan territory, but after being faced with a fourth down at the Wesleyan two-yard line, Colby coach Jonathan Michaeles made the decision to send out the kicking unit. John Baron ’18 hit a similar kick a few weeks ago to beat Williams as time expired. That was not the case in this situation, however, as the field goal attempt was blocked by Wesleyan.

In the second quarter, Baron boomed a 40-yard punt to leave Wesleyan starting from the one-yard line. Yet even though the Cardinals were buried deep in their own territory, they marched the length of the field in 11 plays to cap the drive with a one-yard touchdown run.

Despite Wesleyan’s jump out to a 14-0 lead, it looked like the Colby offense had something going. Colby marched 71 yards in a little under six minutes. However, the drive stalled on the Wesleyan 20-yard line when the offense was unable to convert a fourth-and-one. The Cardinals seized the opportunity by jumping into their hurry up offense, quickly driving 69 yards to kick a field goal as the half ended to take a 17-0 lead into the locker room.

To start the second half, Wesleyan picked up right where they left off in the first. Receiving the kick, they reeled off six straight running plays before running back Carrillo decided to air it out on a trick play. He connected with his target for a 48-yard score to extend the Cardinals lead to 23-0. After that, the Colby offense stalled on their next drive and they gave the ball immediately back to their competitors. Wesleyan quarterback Mark Piccirillo put the game out of reach by running for a 48-yard touchdown, making the score 30-0 in Wesleyan’s favor.

With nine minutes left, Colby finally got themselves on the board as quarterback Christian Sparacio ’18 connected with wide receiver Sebastian Ferrell ’19 for a 12-yard touchdown.

Wesleyan sent in their second team offense, but even they found success against the struggling Mules.Wesleyan backup quarterback Gernald Hawkins managed to find a wide receiver and fired a pass for a 60-yard touchdown score to make it a final score of 37-6.

The Mules, having suffered a heavy loss at home on parents weekend, are looking to regroup next week as they travel to perennial NESCAC powerhouse Amherst College.

Leave a Reply