M. Lax starts season slowly

The Colby men’s lacrosse team has endured a difficult past two weeks, going 0-5 overall with three league games among the losses. While most of campus was enjoying a relaxing spring break, the Mules were on the road, starting in Medford, Massachusetts against Tufts University on March 19. One of the team’s strengths this year has been getting off to a strong early start, which they did  versus the favored Jumbos. The Mules scored two goals in the opening 10 minutes to keep the contest close at 3-2, but the hosts soon pulled away in the third quarter with four straight goals and the game ended 16-8. Colby’s scoring duo of Kevin Seiler ’17 and Colton Michel ’19 continued their impressive form with three goals apiece.

The team faced a quick turnaround with a trip to Virginia to face Washington and Lee University on March 22. Possibly affected by the travel, Colby didn’t gain any momentum until the fourth quarter. Down 7-3 entering the final frame, the Mules looked like they might pull off a dramatic comeback thanks to three straight goals from Sam Wasserman ’16, Alex Rutan ’16, and Michel. But it was too little too late, and the boys fell just short, losing 7-6.

The exhausting away jaunt rolled onto Connecticut College on March 26  with the Mules looking to secure their first NESCAC victory of the year. Unfortunately, it proved to be a rough day for coach John Hunt’s team, who suffered a sobering 21-4 defeat. The Mules struggled to win faceoffs all game and the resulting lack of possession was crucial. The Camels shot out to a 10-1 first half lead and extended it to 19-1 by the end of the third quarter. On the plus side, the scoreline allowed a host of reserve players the  chance to get on the field and gain experience, especially freshman goalie C.J. Layton ’19 who registered nearly 24 minutes in relief of starter Dylan Rothenberg ’16.

The team was happy to be back on Mayflower Hill for their midweek matchup with Keene State on Wednesday. They again kept it close in the first half, as goals from Austin Sayre ’17, Jack Bratches ’16, Scott Miller ’19, and Thomas Brewster ’19 left the sides knotted at 4-4 going into halftime. Yet in what has become a troubling theme this year for the Mules, they failed to keep pace in the second half. Five straight goals from the visitors were enough to put the game out of reach by the start of the fourth quarter. Colby tried to muster a comeback but could not enough momentum going and finally fell 14-9.

The team’s struggles continued on Saturday as the Wesleyan University Cardinals came to town. The game started well enough for the hosts, who went up 2-0 in the first three minutes. Colby outshot their opponents 13-11 in the second quarter but the Cardinals were simply more clinical, scoring four goals to take a 7-4 lead. The Mules stayed within striking distance for much of the second half before a late Wesleyan barrage settled the game 15-8.

While the team went into spring break expecting nothing short of a challenge, they were nonetheless displeased with the results. The Mules now stand at 2-7 overall and 0-5 in the league. They will have a chance to stop their skid and build some confidence on Tuesday against Maine Maritime Academy ahead of a trip to Amherst College on Saturday.

Leave a Reply