Early lead proves not to be enough in men’s lacrosse loss

For the second year in a row, the Colby Men’s Lacrosse team opened up a 5-0 lead in the first quarter against Hamilton this past Sunday. Last year Hamilton made a second half comeback, winning the game 11-10. Despite a late surge by the Mules, history was repeated for a second year as Hamilton squeezed out a 9-8 win, giving Colby the loss in the team’s season opener.

Kevin Seiler ’17 scored the first goal for the Mules just 2:14 into the game off an assist by Don Vivian ’19. This was the start of a dominant quarter by Colby, in which they scored four more goals, including a first career goal for Lane Kadish ’20 to take a 5-0 lead going into the second quarter. Vivian assisted on three of these goals. The sideline was ecstatic, and Colby had all the momentum as the first quarter drew to a close. During the break, Coach Guy Van Arsdale emphasized the importance of staying focused and positive as the flow of the game was sure to change.

In the second quarter, Colby struggled to find the offensive production they had had in the first, as Hamilton scored a goal at 11:28, another at 11:22, and yet another at 9:51. Hamilton scored the first goal after winning the face-off, while a man-up and set-up another goal six seconds later. Hamilton dominated the face-off all game, winning 16 of 20. Neither team could score in the last nine minutes of the half, and the Mules went into halftime holding on to a 5-3 lead. However, the momentum had begun to swing towards the Continentals.

Vivian scored for Colby at the 10:53 mark in the third quarter, but Hamilton answered with another flurry of quick goals, scoring four in just 2:20. Once again, Hamilton scored multiple goals immediately following face-off wins. This onslaught gave Hamilton a 7-6 lead, their first of the game, and capped off a 7-1 run. However, the Mules fought back. With 6:07 left in the third quarter, Kadish scored off an assist by Tucker Dietrick ’18 to tie the game up. The Mules regained the lead as Austin Sayre ’17 scored unassisted with 2:00 on the clock.

The fourth quarter was an all out defensive battle. The Mules had an 8-7 lead to start, but Hamilton tied the game up with 9:32 left, and scored again at 6:27, taking a 9-8 lead. These two goals would be the only ones scored in the fourth quarter. Dietrick had an opportunity late in the game to tie, but he missed the shot by mere inches.

Despite the loss, Colby won the turnover battle 16-19. However, Hamilton had more shots than Colby in every quarter but the first, and converted two out of three man up opportunities.

First-year Kadish had two goals in his debut for Colby, and scoring was rounded out with two goals each for Seiler and Sayre, and one goal each for Vivian and Dietrick. Vivian also led Colby with three assists. C.J. Layton ’18, the goalkeeper, finished the game with ten saves.

This week Colby Men’s Lacrosse will travel to the University of New England on Tuesday, and to Trinity College
on Saturday.

Leave a Reply