Men’s Soccer finishes 1-1 in Connecticut doubleheader

The Mules traveled to Connecticut this weekend to take on two NESCAC rivals­, Trinity College and Connecticut College, in a weekend doubleheader. On Saturday, the Colby men’s soccer team fought their way to a 2-1 win in overtime to beat Trinity College. Sunday ended in a more disappointing result, with the Mules losing to Conn College 3-1. After last weekend Colby maintains  a 2-4-1 record overall, heading into next weekend’s matchup against Middlebury College.

Against Trinity College, the Mules drew the first blood, with Aidan Black ’18 scoring in the 21st minute. After a poor clearance from the Bantam’s defense, Black was able to pounce on the loose ball and finish for an early lead. Trinity drew level with a good shot from senior forward and captain Tobias Gimand right before the break.

The game remained scoreless for the entire second half and nearly two overtime periods before Colby struck again. With less than a minute to go in the second overtime period, the Mules had an opportunity that began off of a throw-in in the Trinity corner.

The ball was thrown towards the back post and Kyle Douglas ’19 volleyed it across the face of the goal. Grady Jendzejec ’19 finished with a clean header into the back of the net to give the Mules their first NESCAC victory of the season.

Colby’s Richie Gutierrez ’19 was proud of his team’s ability to “stay composed during pressured and heated moments throughout the game.” He commented that this was one of the major factors that helped the Mules to stick to their game plan and push through to find the win. Despite being outshot by the Bantams, Colby used their shots more wisely and ultimately capitalized on Trinity’s inability to follow through with their opportunities.

Unfotunately, Sunday brought a different result. Riding high on their victory from the day before, the Mules knew that the game against Connecticut College would be an important but difficult match. Conn. College scored three times during the game, one coming less than a minute in. Despite grabbing a goal towards the end, Colby was unable to find the same urgency that had driven them against Trinity. The second half marked a turning point in Colby’s game however, and they created two free kick opportunities at the top of the box. Their only goal came from a penalty kick buried by David Howarth ’19 in the second half. Regardless of the final score, this marks Howarth’s first collegiate goal for Colby. In spite of the turnaround in their play near the end of the game, Colby missed their opportunity to go 2-0 this weekend.

Leadership came in all forms this weekend, from Avery Gibson ’20 coming up big in net on Saturday, to Captain Brandon Fahlberg’s ’17 near goal against Conn College on Sunday. In addition to their hard earned results, the Colby men’s soccer team can certainly be proud of their team chemistry.

After a Connecticut trip with mixed results, the Mules look forward to taking on Middlebury on October 1, followed by Maine Maritime Academy on October 4.

Leave a Reply