Men’s Lacrosse earns first win of the season over UNE

Colby Men’s Lacrosse notched their first win of the season last Wednesday over the University of New England (UNE) by a score of 17-9. However, they were still unable to get off the mark in league play, having dropped  their second NESCAC game of the year to Trinity College on Saturday 9-6.

The Mules went into Wednesday’s game looking to give interim Head Coach Jon Hunt his first victory on Mayflower Hill. Colby went down a goal early in the contest, but came storming back to take a 7-1 first quarter lead. Colton Michel ’19 scored two of his five goals to put some distance between the Mules and the visitors. He added two more in the second quarter, including one with eight seconds left in the half, to give the hosts a comfortable 10-2 cushion.

The onslaught continued in the third quarter, with Cillian Connor ’18, Kevin Seiler ’17, and Donald Vivian ’19 all getting on the scoresheet to give the Mules an impressive 13-2 lead. UNE finally showed some fight, climbing back to 14-8 in the fourth quarter. It was too little, too late, and the Mules added some gloss to the scoreline with three goals in the final three minutes. Max Eberhart ’16 dominated the faceoff game, winning 13 of his 17 attempts, while Brad McCarthy ’18 picked up four ground balls.

Despite their mid-week mauling of UNE, the Mules knew they would face a much tougher task  on Saturday against the Bantams at Harold Alfond Stadium. The game was a back-and-forth affair early on, as Alex Rutan ’16 and Seiler gave the Mules a 2-1 advantage just five minutes into the contest. The Bantams tied it up almost immediately, but Thomas Brewster ’16 found Myles Smith ’18 to restore the lead. Michel continued his impressive form, grabbing his ninth goal of the year with four seconds left in the quarter to make it 4-3. The second quarter began as furiously as the first, as Sam Wasserman ’16 scored less than a minute in, before two quick Trinity goals tied the game up at five. The visitors later added another to go into halftime up 6-5.

The pace slowed down considerably in the second half, with the Mules unable to convert their few scoring chances. The team had eight shots on goal in the third quarter but couldn’t find the net. They were made to pay for their inefficiency in front of the goal when the Bantams scored two late in the quarter to increase the deficit to 8-5. Max Cushman ’19 got a goal back in the fourth quarter but the Mules could not mount a comeback.

At 1-2, the team has endured an up-and-down start to the season. While part of this inconsistency may be down to a new coach and a host of young players, the Mules now face an important juncture in their campaign. They go on the road for four straight games, including conference tests against Tufts University and Connecticut College, before their next home game against Keene State on March 30.

Leave a Reply