Men’s Hockey drops two over weekend in Connecticut

The Colby men’s hockey team traveled down to Connecticut last weekend as they prepared to face the first and last place teams in the NESCAC.  On Friday, Feb. 13, the Mules headed over to Middletown, CT. to face the struggling Wesleyan University Cardinals.

Wesleyan has had its troubles this season, as they are at the bottom of the league with a 2-14 in conference record and an overall record of 3-19.  Still, Colby has had its own share of difficulty as they are in ninth place in NESCAC standings and are sporting a 2-11-3 in conference record and are 5-14-3 overall.

The first period was a back-and-forth game, but the Cardinals scored first with only 50 seconds left in the period to take the lead going into the first intermission.  The second period was similar to the first, but at the end of the second period it was Colby who scored the equalizer.  Freshman Cam MacDonald tied the game up at one with only 36 seconds left to play in the period off of assists from Alexander Walsh ’16 and Michael Decker ’18. 

Regulation would end in a tie, sending the game into overtime.  Unfortunately for the Mules, Wesleyan snapped their 14-game losing streak as they snuck a puck past goalie Sam Parker ’15 about three minutes into the overtime period.

“We generated a lot of opportunities, but were unable to capitalize on our chances,” Walsh said.  “The Wesleyan goalie played well and they were able to convert on a couple of our mistakes.”  The Mules could not dwell on this loss for long, as they had to face the first-place Trinity Bantams the following evening.

Colby entered the game against Trinity on Saturday, Feb. 14, looking to stifle the strong Bantam offense.  After a scoreless first period, Trinity drew first blood going ahead only five minutes into the second.  Just three minutes later, the Bantams would build on their lead to make it 2-0; however, Colby would cut the deficit in half when Michael Rudolf ’18 converted a Trinity turnover into a goal with the assist from Jonathan Sdao ’16.  Trinity busted the game open in the third period as they scored three unanswered to take the lead, and ultimately the win, 5-1.

“[Trinity] has a strong power play unit,” Walsh commented after the game. “They were able to capitalize on a couple of power play opportunities in that third period.”  The Mules need to put this past weekend in their rearview mirror, as they close out their regular season with Tufts University and Connecticut College at Alfond Rink this weekend.

“We’re excited about the Tufts and Conn games,” Walsh said. “They’re very important games for us as they’ll be crucial in order for us to make the playoffs.”

Comments are closed.