Exciting games for Men’s and Women’s Ice Hockey

Men’s Ice Hockey

Colby’s Men’s Ice Hockey team continued its struggles this week in two hard-fought conference battles.

On Feb. 14, the Mules fell to the Wesleyan Cardinals in a close 4-2 spread. The Mules came out firing, taking an early lead over the Cardinals just 1:17 into the game. The goal came from Sean Holly `21 (his first goal of the season) and was assisted by captain Brendan Murphy `21 and Carter Breitenfeldt `23. In a back-and-forth first period, the Mules were able to maintain their one-goal leading heading into the first intermission.

Colby struggled throughout the second period of play. The first seven minutes of the period was a standoff, and both goalies were able to hold their ground. However, 7:11 into the period, Wesleyan’s Matt Zandi `21 netted a power play goal to tie things up. The Mules could not grasp any momentum and the Cardinals were able to take a 2-1 lead 14:02 into the period thanks to Tyler Wyatt’s `20 rocket, assisted by teammates Tyler Levine `22 and Cam Peritz `21. Wesleyan struck again just three minutes later, again from Matt Zandi. 

Wesleyan continued the scoring into the third period with a goal from Walker Harris `20 to take a 4-1 lead. Colby’s Kienan Scott `20 netted one later in the third, assisted by Murphy and Michael Thomas `22, but it was not enough to overcome the powerful Wesleyan squad. The Cardinals rounded out the game 4-2. 

Colby’s Andrew Tucci `20 stopped 18 shots. Colby ended the game with 27 shots, compared to Wesleyan’s 22. Wesleyan outlasted Colby in faceoffs 29-21.

The Mules were tasked with playing another game just one day after this tough loss on Feb. 15 against Trinity. In this conference match, the Mules were again unable to find success, falling to the Bantams 4-1.

Like the day before, the Mules struck first. Paddy Daley `20 netted his first goal of the season 8:46 into the first from a Jacob Thousand `23 assist. However, Trinity equalized the scoring 4:13 into the second period thanks to Barclay Gammill’s `20 goal.

Heading into the locker room with a 1-1 score after the second period, the Mules were looking to strike first in the third and gain momentum down the stretch. However, the Bantams controlled the period from start to finish, scoring three unanswered goals before time expired from Riley Prattson `23, Connor Sudquist `22, and Cole Poliziani `22.

Colby’s head coach Blaise MacDonald said, “We played a very good game today.  Going into the third period 1-1 was what we were hoping for with one of the best teams in the country.” 

Trinity led in both shots on goal (32-27) and faceoffs won (53-35). Colby Men’s Hockey is now 7-12-3 overall, and 3-11-2 in the conference.

Despite the unfortunate weekend for the Mules, they look to prove their resilience in a tough upcoming battle at Tufts onFeb. 21.

Women’s Ice Hockey

Colby Women’s Hockey team got back in the win column this week after playing two back-to-back games at Connecticut College.

In the first game on Feb. 14, the Mules were able to secure a 3-1 come-from-behind win in Connecticut. A scoreless start to the first period came to an end after Ashley Carbone’s `20 power play goal for the Camels 12:37 into the period, assisted by teammates Kylie Wilkes `20 and Natalie Witkowski `22. The 1-0 Connecticut lead held for the remainder of the period, and the Mules headed to the locker room with a comeback mindset.

Like in the first period, the beginning portion of the second consisted of back-and-forth play as neither team could find the back of the net. However, this time the Mules broke the silence with a goal from Stephanie Lane `22, assisted by Bri Michaud-Nolan `23 and Assistant Captain Cassidy Holzer `20 18:53 into the period.

The Mules furthered the scoring 6:19 into the third period with a short-handed go-ahead goal by Lexi Cafiero `22. Colby displayed their dominance yet again when Moira Mulaney ’20 netted an empty-net goal late in the third to secure the 3-1 win. The Mules controlled both shots on net (26-17) and faceoffs won (30-26), and goalie Nina Prunster `22 finished the day with 16 saves.

Colby looked to extend their success into Saturday’s rematch game against Connecticut College.

The Camels struck first just 4:13 into the game when Samantha Hunt `22 scored an unassisted goal. Ten minutes later, Connecticut took a 2-0 lead from an Erin Dillon `21 power play goal. The remainder of the period was scoreless, and the Mules once again headed into the first intermission trailing the Camels.

But, like on Friday, Colby expressed their resilience and desire to win in the second period. 8:53 into the period, Lexi Cafiero `22, assisted by Tess Dupre `20 and Bri Michaud-Nolan `23, put the Mules on the scoresheet. Less than a minute later, Tate Senden `23 tied things up 2-2 on her first goal of the season, assisted by Lane and Madi Aumann `23. The conclusion of the second period had the Mules optimistic, looking at a 2-2 game.

In a tight third period, neither team could catch an edge until the final few minutes. With just 2:15 remaining in the period, the Camels netted a power play goal thanks to Sammi Estes `20. However, again the Mules refused to give up. Down 3-2 with just 40 seconds remaining in regulation, Lauren Klein `21 silenced the Connecticut crowd with a clutch goal, assisted by Dupre and McKinley Karpa `22.

Neither team could secure the win in overtime, resulting in an exciting 3-3 tie for the Mules. Cierra San Roman `21 finished the day with 27 saves. Connecticut College outlasted Colby in both shots on goal (30-24) and faceoffs won (31-28).

Colby’s Women’s Hockey advanced to 13-5-4 overall and 8-3-3 in the conference after the weekend. They look to bring their momentum into the final regular-season weekend when they will play back-to-back games at Amherst on Feb. 21 and Feb. 22.

Leave a Reply