The Colby Echo allows and encourages its readers to submit comments on our website. Our mission is to provide a space for dialogue, civil discussion, and debate.
We encourage all commenters to utilize their real names or a relevant descriptor (i.e. class of 2017, parent, sophomore, etc.). When comments are submitted, the name and email address provided are visible to the Echo staff. This information is never shared or made public.
Comments are moderated by the Executive Editors of The Colby Echo. The Executive Editors have the discretion to remove comments that they determine contain:
- Comments including derogatory language, hate speech, or language/concepts that could be deemed offensive.
- Comments that are determined to be spam or questionable spam.
- Links within comments that lead to irrelevant content or affiliate websites. Links that are relevant to the post will be permitted.
- Comments using profanity or vulgar language.
- Statements that attack another person individually.
- They include personal attacks on reporters
- Comments longer than 200 words. If you would like to submit an Op-Ed or Letter to the Editor, please email email@example.com
The views expressed in comments are solely those of the commenter. They are not endorsed or promoted by The Colby Echo or Colby College.
Additionally, commenting may be disabled on high-profile stories that attract spam comments. The Echo reserves the right to disable commenting on an article that is no longer topical or that was published more than two years ago.
Once submitted, comments become the property of The Colby Echo and the paper has the full right to publish in print or online the comment. The Echo will utilize the name attached to the comment.